Sunday, July 1, 2007

Best Banana Bread

banana bread food processor





For Mother's Day, I treated myself to the most beautiful food processor ever. After much consideration, I chose a Cuisinart.

I have been having lots of fun playing with it. Although I bought this new toy to make savory dishes (mostly hummus), I have made a few sweet treats.

When I bought the food processor, I also bought The Food Processor Bible by Norene Gilletz.

This morning I made her Best Banana Bread (for the 4th time) in my food processor. It's so quick to make! What I love about this recipe is that it only uses 1/4 cup oil. This recipe is also unique because it calls for 3 teaspoons of baking soda, and it's cooked for a very loooong time in a slow oven (275). The bread is darker than most. Because I'm a big fan of the crust, I make four small loaves instead of one large.


Best Banana Bread

from Norene Gilletz

3 medium very ripe bananas (the blacker the better)

1 cup sugar

3 tsp. baking soda

dash salt

2 eggs

1/4 cup oil

1 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp. lemon juice plus milk to equal 1/2 cup (or 1/2 cup buttermilk)

2 Tbsp. ground flax seed or wheat germ (optional)


Using the steel blade in your food processor, process bananas until pureed (15 to 20 seconds). Measure 1 cup banana puree. Add sugar, baking soda and salt; process for 30 seconds. Add eggs and oil and process until blended, about 10 seconds. Pour flour over, then add sour milk or buttermilk. Process 8 to 10 seconds longer, until smooth. Blend in flax seed or wheat germ, if using.

Pour into greased bread pan. Bake on middle rack in preheated 275 degree F oven about 2 1/2 hours, or until loaf tests done.

* I make 4 small loaves instead of one large. I bake these smaller loaves for 1 1/2 hours and it is fine.

6 comments:

Tamami from Coco&Me said...

How lovely! I also make banana bread for my stall!

Stressed Out Mom said...

I truly do love this banana bread. There are 3 bananas now waiting for me!

Marie-Claude Q said...

This is the best banana bread recipe I have found so far (and god knows I've tried many). It's moist and tasty. I processed walnuts, flax seed and some peanuts before starting and added it to the recipe at the end. Delicious.

Coach Annie said...

This overflowed in my oven all over the bottom burner. It's the first time a recipe in this book failed me. I followed it exactly. What happened?

Stressed Out Mom said...

Oh my goodness! That has not happened to me. Did you fill your pan really high? I usually fill about 2/3 the way up.

I'm curious about why you said "book." Do you mean blog?

Have a great day!

Coach Annie said...

I used the original recipe (same as yours) from Norene Gilletz's book. I used a 9 x 5 loaf pan and yes I filled it to the top. What do you do with the rest of the batter?