Monday, July 2, 2007

Curried Rice with Steak



Last night I decided to broil the top sirloin steaks we had bought from Omaha Steaks. I sprinkled some salt, garlic powder and olive oil on them. The steaks came out perfect! Quite tasty and juicy. I also made some sauteed onions and mushrooms with garlic and a salad with tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.

Finally, I made some curried rice. It's kind of a strange pairing with steak, but it worked for me. Here's the recipe I adapted from Allrecipes.

Curried Rice

adapted from Allrecipes.com

2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried cherries (or raisins)
1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted

1. In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until tender. Stir in rice and curry powder. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.

2. In a saucepan, heat broth and salt. Pour over rice mixture; stir. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in dried cherries or raisins and almonds.






No comments: