Sunday, June 21, 2009

Coffee with the Hummingbirds


Have you ever seen a hummingbird? If you have, then you know the excitement that you feel each time they decide to grace you with their company. My favorite way to start the day is to enjoy a hot cup of coffee on my back porch, waiting for the hummingbirds to visit. Their unmistakable little chirp is a welcome sound. Now, if only the weather would start cooperating! (Insert the sound of falling rain in background.)

This is my second year feeding hummingbirds. I now have three feeders in the hopes so that I never miss one. I bought this pretty feeder at Home Depot. I was worried that my little friends wouldn't like the muted red tone of the flowers, but that hasn't been a problem.

I used to buy that red liquid that is sold alongside the feeders, but that never attracted any hummingbirds for me. As soon as I started making my own nectar (boil 4 parts water with 1 part of sugar for 2 minutes, cool to room temperature), they started to visit right away.

If you've never seen a hummingbird, you're missing a treat. When I see one, I'm reminded to appreciate the little things. Take time to stop and watch the hummingbirds!

No comments: