Sunday, April 17, 2011

Better Than Usual Burgers

On Sunday nights, my family and I usually enjoy a "nicer than usual" dinner.  It's the night we have a meal that takes a while to prepare or one that is "fancier" than our worknight meals. Sunday night's typical meal might be, for example, an eye of the round, roasted chicken, lasagna, or some baked fish.  But not tonight... I craved a burger.  Not a turkey burger or a veggie burger.  A good old beef burger.  And it did not disappoint. 

We went to our favorite meat market this afternoon, and I bought some 85% ground beef.  For sides, I must say I did a good job using up what I had in the refrigerator.  I made some cole slaw, a spinach salad, a small tomato/mozarella salad, and some roasted broccoli.  I also sauteed a large shallot with some balsamic vinegar for my burger.  Can you say veggie overload?

Here's a photo of my plate.  I opted to go without the bun in an attempt to decrease my carbs.  My burger has a slice of tomato and the shallots on it which was a nice combination.  The burger was melt in your mouth good. 

I decided to add some flavor and moisture to the meat before I formed the patties.  Here's what I did:

TASTY GRILLED BURGERS
1 1/2 pounds 85% lean hamburger
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T milk
1 t Montreal-type Steak Seasoning (I used Weber brand)

Preheat gas grill to high.  Mix all ingredients together until just combined.  Form into six equal sized patties.  Don't forget -- flatten the middles of the burgers so they cook evenly.  Cook about 7 minutes altogether.  My instant read thermometer read 145 degrees, but the burgers were very juicy.

No comments: