Saturday, April 30, 2011

Eggs in a Hole (aka Powder Puff Eggs)


Cooking Eggs in a Hole


Eggs in a Hole
 Behold one of my tried and true recipes, the much-loved Eggs in a Hole.  In this recipe, an egg is cooked inside the center of a piece of toast. 

Growing up, we had these eggs almost every week.  I've seen them called many different things, but these eggs were called "Powder Puff Eggs" when I was growing up.  I have no idea why.  There is nothing about these eggs that is "puffy," and there's certainly no form of "powder" involved.  Calling them "Eggs in a Hole" may seem more fitting for you, but I'll continue my tradition of calling them Powder Puff Eggs.

These eggs were so special to me that I even mailed the recipe to a newspaper columnist when I was ten.  Imagine my glee when I opened up my local paper at age ten and saw my first recipe published!  Apparently, the columnist became smitten with this easy dish too. 

The best part of these eggs in the hole made from the center of the bread.  The circle of bread gets toasted in the pan, and you create a perfect tool which can be used for dunking into the runny egg center.  The key is being able to cook the egg so the yolk is firm but still a bit runny. On this day, my husband wanted his yolks broken.  I overcooked my yolk. Looks like I'll need to make another one soon!



Eggs in a Hole (aka Powder Puff Eggs)

For each serving you will need:

Butter
Two slices of bread
Two eggs
Salt & Pepper

First, preheat your frying pan over medium high heat.  Next, cut a hole in the center of each slice of bread.  You can use a small juice glass, or a biscuit cutter.  Melt butter in the pan.  Place your bread slices and holes in the pan, and then crack an egg in the center hole of each slice.  After the bread has browned, flip and cook until egg is cooked to your liking.  





No comments: