Wednesday, April 20, 2011

German Puffy Pancake

Lazy weekend mornings are rare in this household, so a special breakfast seems fitting when one comes around.  I grew up on what my Mom called "Bickford's Apple Pancake," which is outrageously decadent and delicious.  Have you had one?  Apple slices are smothered in brown sugar and butter, then surrounded by a puffy pancake. 

I found the recipe for this German Pancake in my Woman's Day magazine and made some minor changes.  The main difference between my Mom's Apple Pancake recipe and this German Pancake is the lack of apples.  It still has the wow factor of watching the pancake puff and creep up the side of the pan.  I must confess that I sat on my kitchen floor and watched it cook through the oven window.

The recipe allegedly serves four, but I feel two is more like it.  Plan on making this one soon.  It would make a mighty fine weeknight dinner too!

German Pancake

4 eggs
1/2 cup milk (I used skim, but whole would be even better)
1/2 cup flour
1 T sugar
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/4 t salt
2 T butter
Powdered sugar for dusting

Heat oven to 425 degrees.  In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined.  Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat.  Add the butter and melt.  Add the batter, and transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the pancake is puffed and golden, 12 to 15 minutes.  Dust with powdered sugar or serve with strawberry jam if desired. 

No comments: