Saturday, June 9, 2012

Rice in the Pressure Cooker

Spring is here, school is almost out, and I'm gearing up for another fun summer filled with cooking and blogging. 

I plan on sharing some of my experiences with my pressure cooker. I love, love, love it.  If you're on the fence about buying one, do not hesitate.  Here's the one that I bought from Amazon: 




In order to cook rice, I also needed to buy a small stainless steel bowl so that I could steam in my pressure cooker.  I bought a set of three stacking Martha Stewart stainless steel bowls at Macy's.  The middle bowl is 3-quarts and it fits perfectly. 

I love to make Steamed Rice in my pressure cooker.  I adapted it from Miss Vickie's book which I highly recommend.



Measure one cup of long grain rice into a small stainless steel bowl.  Rinse it several times, then drain.  Put 1 1/2 cups of fresh water in the rice, along with a little salt and a tablesoon of butter.  Put one cup of water in the bottom of the pressure cooker.  Put the rice (that is already in a small bowl) on the trivet on top of the water.  Bring up to pressure.  I move to the lower temperature burner, and start timing for 8 minutes.  Let it come down to pressure naturally.  You will get perfectly steamed rice every time.  So delicious and so quick. 





No comments: